The Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design
The Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design, on Klingelhöferstraße in Berlin, collects art pieces, objects, documents and literature which relate to the Bauhaus School (1919 – 1933), one of the most influential schools of architecture, design, and art of the 20th century.
The collection documents the history of Bauhaus in art, teaching, architecture and design. The collection includes teaching materials, workshop models, architectural plans, photographs, documents and a library.
The Bauhaus archive looks after works by Lyonel Feininger, Johannes Itten, Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Werner Drewes, Gunta Stölzl and Oskar Schlemmer. The comprehensive graphic collection includes drawings, watercolours and prints.
Daimler Chrysler Building Potsdamer Platz Berlin Germany
Italian architect Renzo Piano was commissioned with creating an overall design for Daimler-Chrysler and now Daimler AG building in Potsdamer Platz. Half of the total 340,000 square metres of floor space at the 70,000 square metre large site of the Daimler AG Berlin headquarters consists of offices; 30 percent consists of cultural, commercial or gastronomic facilities, and 20 percent of residential housing – in total, 10,000 people live and work there. The first business to open its doors in the area was the Debis Centre in 1997.
The 90 metre high Debis building, with its famous green cube, is the accentuating highlight of the area at the south alongside the “Landwehrkanal” (Landwehr Canal); at Potsdamer Platz, it is the two high-rises designed by the architects Hans Kollhoff and Renzo Piano.
In reference to the area’s historical road network a multifaceted structure consisting of 19 building blocks designed by a variety of architects was built which integrates the vicinity’s historic heart, the Weinhaus Huth (Wine House Huth).
Berlin Shell Haus
The Shell House is a classical modernist architectural masterwork that stands overlooking the Landwehrkanal in the Tiergarten district of Berlin. It opened in 1932 and was designed by German architect Emil Fahrenkamp. At the time the building was noted for its striking wave-like façade, and for being one of the first steel-framed high-rise buildings in Berlin.
Neue Nationalgalerie, Berlin
The Neue Nationalgalerie’s imposing steel and glass box near Potsdamer Platz is a mecca for lovers of contemporary art and architecture lovers.
The building, a striking modern work from Mies van der Rohe has almost 5,000 square meters of exhibition space and close to 800 meters of wall space; it opened in 1968.
Twentieth-century masters to be seen here include Cubists Picasso, Gris and Léger, Surrealists Ernst, Dalí and Miró, Bauhaus instructors Klee and Kandinsky.
Expressionists such as those from Die Brücke group, Heckel, Schmidt-Rottluff, and Kirchner, whose “Potsdamer Platz” is a must-see for a historic look at Berlin.